Metal forming is a manufacturing process in which forces are applied on raw material such that stresses induced in the material are greater than yield stress and less than ultimate stress.
The material experiences plastic deformation to change the shape of the component and converted to the desired shape of the component.
Forming process can be broadly classified into two types as cold working and hot working.
Advantages of Metal Forming Process:
- the amount of wastage of metal during metal forming process is negligible;
- grain orientation is possible;
- because of grain orientation the material is converted from isotropic to anisotropic material;
- sometimes the strength and hardness of work material is increasing;
- some other metal forming process, the surface finish obtained on the component is very good and excellent.
Disadvantages of Metal Forming Process:
- higher mount of force and energy is required for metal forming process compared to other manufacturing methods;
- except the forging operation, all other metal forming process are used for producing uniform cross sectioned
- components only;
- the components with cross holes cannot be produced easily using metal forming process.